Skip to main content

Happy Halloween!

By October 31, 2016 Uncategorized

Halloween- a wonderfully fun holiday when you get to pass out candy to all the kids dressed up in fun and adorable costumes! While this may be a fun and favorite holiday for humans, it can be a dangerous one for your pets.


There’s the obvious concern of your dog eating some chocolate. As you likely know, chocolate is not good for animals.¬†Chocolate contains two ingredients that are toxic to dogs: caffeine and theobromine. Both of these ingredients can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, call your vet or an emergency vet to see what they recommend. Some signs of chocolate toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, elevated heart rate, or tremors. If you notice any of these symptoms, call your veterinarian right away.

Did you know that Halloween is one of the biggest days for dogs to run away? While you’re opening the door to give out candy, your dog could be trying sneak out. If you have a particularly adventurous dog, you may want to set them up in a room where you can close the door or put a baby gate up. You should put their bed, favorite toys, and maybe a special treat in the room with them to make them feel safe and comfortable. This may also help a pet who is anxious with new people.

It may be a good idea to take your dog out for a long walk before the trick or treating festivities begin, to ensure he is tired and calm. Be sure you don’t leave your pet outside, even in a fenced yard, as the extra foot traffic of the trick or treaters could cause your pet excessive stress.

dr k and kids

Happy Halloween from your friends at Market Street! We hope you have a fun and safe day!

Leave a Reply